Thursday, May 26, 2011

Breakfast

Mornings are blurry around here. Our little one still isn't sleeping in her own bed through the night which leaves one of us with a waking imprint of an elbow in our back at the beginning of each day. I try to make muffins at least once a week to help get us started without too much fuss. If things are going really well we might even get 2 batches. This recipe was originally my mother-in-laws tried and true base muffin recipe... and I added my own flavors and goodness to make it our own.


Apple Walnut Muffins

Recipe:
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
1 Cup sugar
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons vanilla
1 C all-purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 C chopped walnuts
1/4 C milled flaxseed
2 medium size apples peeled and grated
dash of cinnamon
dash of cloves

I'm not a stickler for method. So for me I toss things in the mixing bowl as I pull them from the cupboard or the refrigerator and I mix it all together. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.


Sweet Coconut Banana Smoothie

We usually make this with Chocolate Almond Milk, but I accidentally bought Vanilla Coconut Milk from Silk this week. While everyone agrees on its yumminess, I haven't found much to use it for besides smoothies and with cooked oats.

Recipe for 2 adults, 2 children:


3 C Vanilla Coconut Milk by Silk (not the thai food canned coconut milk stuff)
2 T home-made chocolate sauce (we had some leftover from last weeks ice-cream)
1 frozen banana, sliced
2 spoon fulls of creamy peanut butter

Blend. Don't forget to lick the peanut butter spoon for good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment