Friday, June 3, 2011

Carrot Oat Muffins

When I look up recipes for carrot muffins I find a lot of recipes for carrot cake..... What I'm looking for is a healthy yummy crunchy recipe that tastes likes carrots, because I happen to like carrots a lot. I haven't found one that I really like yet... so I made one up.

When I make up recipes from scratch I try to make them as simple as possible so that I can remember them without having to look them up again. I try to keep the measurements to something I will remember and that looks like the right proportion when I throw it in the batter. Sometimes this works out, sometimes it doesn't. This combination worked out extremely well for the first round.

If you want to try them out below is the recipe... but I warn you they do not taste like carrot cake. As much as I love pineapple and cream cheese I omitted them for something more breakfast-y. They taste like crunchy carrot granola bars in muffin form.... my sweet toothed kids loved them.

 (this particular batch of muffins are heart shaped)

Recipe:
2 Cups shredded carrots
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
1/2 Cup ground up oats (I toss mine in the food processor first)
1 Cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 stick of butter, softened
1 Cup of wheat flour
1 Cup of all purpose flour
1/3 Cup flaked coconuts, chopped up
1/3 Cup milled flaxseed
1/3 Cup raisins
1/3 Cup of applesauce

Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment