Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sour Cream

It tastes so good and it sounds so yuck. Strangely it is exactly what it sounds like. Soured cream.



I cannot tell you how many times I have thought 'I wish I had a little bit of sour cream to go with this dish'... Had I known the ingredients to make sour cream were sitting in my refrigerator, my wishing could have become a reality.

When we were out of ranch dressing or ketchup, bread, cereal, peanut butter, or yogurt I would add them to the grocery list.  All along the ingredients to make these things were already in my kitchen. I just had no idea I could make them myself.

Lesson learned.


Here is what I use:
1 Cup heavy cream
1/4 Cup buttermilk
Mason jar with lid

Here is what I do:
Mix together cream and buttermilk in a mason jar and sit it in the middle part of the stove as you make dinner. You can watch the temperature on it if you'd like (heat to about 80-85 degrees).... but a warmed cream works just fine for me.  Put a lid on the jar and set it on top of the refrigerator overnight, or about 12 hours. The next morning you should have a thickened cream. Put it in the refrigerator and use within a week or two.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment